Wednesday, November 11, 2009

November 6th - DENG-HUH?


This weekend may have been the most laid back and relaxing weekend I've had since coming to Cape Verde. There has been a Dengue fever outbreak in some of the southern islands, particularly the main island of Santiago. Apparently over 3000 cases have been reported in the past couple of weeks. For a country of less than half a million, that's a pretty significant number. I've since read up on Dengue fever thanks to handy printouts throughout the time. I now know that there are four types of the fever, all with varying levels of seriousness. Did you know that it's the second most common infectious disease behind malaria? Neither did I.

The CV government declared a national day of service to cleanup the country and combat mosquitos. Instead of teaching my three Friday classes, I got up early and headed out to the engineering campus to help with the clean up (limpeza). Clean up consisted of picking up all the trash in and around campus, etc. We climbed on rooftops to clear off debris, leaves, etc. and overturned anything that could potentially collect water and therefore harbor mosquitos. It was an OCD's dream. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. When else would you get to climb over fences and tramp through fields without looking like a nut. Nothing like getting down and dirty to feel like you are accomplishing something.

Some of the other professors that came clearly meant business. They were dressed in jumpsuits and had gallon jugs with hoses attached to their backs. Sort of a ghostbuster flashback. Apparently gasoline keeps away the bugs. Although I love the smell of gas stations, I can't help but to think widespread use of it as a deterrent is all that safe.

Another downside to the cleanup was the burning of massive amounts of trash. I'm not sure what's better - for the trash to be dumped in the ocean or burned and released into the air. Both options seem pretty non-inticing. I guess trash always has to go somewhere, but there have to be better options.

Regardless of the somewhat painful reminders of what we do to the earth on a daily basis, it was awesome to see everyone pitching in around town. I wonder if people in the US would take advantage of a national day of service to help out and volunteer. I like to think yes, but you never know.

Although I didn't have my camera with me out at the DECM campus, I did take a pic of some of my neighbors cleaning up our cozy little area...

No comments: