Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July 26th, 2010 - T MINUS ONE MONTH

The academic year has ended, the books have arrived, and the study guides have been printed. Two years and I'm left wrapping up the final details of my service. I can't believe that in one month I will be in Praia for my COS (close of service conference) and preparing to leave on a four month trek through continental Africa. My goal is to enjoy the last few weeks at site and in Cape Verde. It'll be hard to say goodbye, so I'm going to leave it with a much simpler keep in touch.

Before I left my colleagues from Heritage school had given me a journal and they had written messages inside to start off the journal. One of them had written the beginning of Whitman's 'Song of the Open Road'

AFOOT and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.

I figure it's only appropriate to post the first poem I taught to my literature students last year,

The Road not Taken

Duas estradas divergiam em um bosque de amarelo
E lamentando não poder seguir em ambas vias
E sendo único viajante, durante muito tempo me estado
E olhei para tão longe quanto eu conseguia
Até onde ela dobrava na descida e sumia

Então peguei a outra, tao apenas quanto justo
e fosse talvez a mais atraente
Porque era gramineo e desgaste querido
Embora aqueles que passaram na frente
tivessem gastado ambas quase iqualmente

E ambas que aquela manhã igualmente fez
Na cobertas por folhas, nao pegadas a manchar
Oh, deixei a primeira para outra vez
Mesmo sabendo como um caminho leva a caminhar
duvidei se iria algum dia voltar

Eu estarei dizendo este com a
Em algum lugar, ha uma distancia de tempo imensa
divergiam em um bosque duas estradas
e eu escolhi a menos viajada
e esta escolha fez toda a diferença.

No comments: