Thursday, December 4, 2008

December 4th - HAPPY DECEMBER.

As for the personal updates:
I started Creole lessons with a co-worker. If Portuguese is drunk Spanish, than Creole is drunk Spanish spoken by a person who loves to abbreviate. Ridic.

I have been cooking up a storm. I can now add crepes and just about anything apple to the list.

My classes are going well. Check out this little diddy that I did with my students during our “Special Needs” class.

We pegin our qrib eq a faziliar blace, a poqy like yours enq zine. Iq conquains a hunqraq qrillion calls qheq work qogaqhys py qasign. En wiqhin each one of qhese zany calls, each one qheq hes QNA. Qhe QNA coqe is axecqly qhe saze, a zess broquceq rasuze. Now qhink apouq qhe way you woulq qhink i qhose calls wyse qhe calls in your prain.

Code:
q = d or t
z = m
p = b b = p
ys = er
a (bat) = e (pet) e (pet) = a (bat)

Kind of makes you stop and think, right?

I’m currently reading Mountains beyond Mountains. But I just bought two books. One a story in Portuguese and the other poems in Creole. It’ll probably take me forever to read either.

I tried to get a ticket to S. Nicolau for the X-Mas break but of course the boat only leaves one morning a week (and I have a night class), so I have to wait to see if they come up with more for the holidays. Mais tarde = later.

The town has hung up Christmas decorations and began to play Christmas music in the big market. This started promptly on December 1st. “You’re killing Christmas” is being bought to whole new levels. They apparently play Chinese Christmas songs in the all the stores (loja). A volunteer from S. Antao does a killer impersonation so I can't wait to hear the real deal.

No comments: