Wednesday, June 3, 2009

May 23rd - TOURISTS?


This has also been quite a week. Exams, classes, and so on. Staying busy, but loving having so much to do. After one class, I was invited to stay to watch a group of 2nd years perform Romeo and Juliet. They had to update a scene. It was an all male ensemble, all of whom have pretty strong personalities, so it was hysterical. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy my students? Each year is a bit different, but they are really great groups to work with.

This week I made plans to start to help out at an animal shelter. I want to help by taking dogs for walks. I started on Friday and took a few dogs out one at a time. The last dog I took out was a three legged little guy that was ten times faster than the other two. Fiesty little guy. Anways, went to bring this little guy back to the shelter and as I'm leading him through the door two others run out. The dog I was walking got off the chain and ran off two. Suddenly I'm running around the streets of Mindelo chasing three legged dogs. Eventually I was able to catch them all and get them back safely, but I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm pretty sure they will not want me around the dogs again anytime soon.

To celebrate a birthday and a despidida we had a visit from almost all of the S. Antao volunteers this weekend. I had invited a few of the volunteers to talk to my class. The class went really well. I think Friday night classes would be hard for anyone, anywhere. I think the students asked some really great questions, including "Do you find working for the Peace Corps to be gratifying?", and the conversation was really great.

On Saturday we rented a van and toured the island as a last big to do for the second year volunteers. Definitely not a typical weekend day, but it was fun. We went to the beaches outside of the city. I finally got to see what the resort over on Sao Pedro looks like. It's bizarre.

We made a pact to finally make it out to one of the discos. Out of about 10 or 11 of us, 3 of us made it out. Fun times, but getting home at 8 am, is never a good feeling.

I am a true believer that nothing good happens after 2 am.

I went for a walk with one volunteer before sleeping for a nice extended time. It was a really nice, indulgent weekend, but it's about time to get back to work. Monographias are due in three weeks, so it's the finally push for the students and us advisors.

No comments: