Thursday, October 8, 2009

CHUVA IN S.VICENTE



Apparently it rains in S.Vicente. Really hard. Who knew? I at least didn´t. While I was away my island turned green (granted there is still more brown, than green I´ll give it to them).

I had four days in Mindelo before having to head to Praia for mid-service medical and it didn´t stop raining the entire time. The streets flooded and the city seemed to shut down. Talk about setting the mood to invite a little homesickness. This summer CV had record amounts of rain. While that´s great news for some areas and islands, it´s been equally devastating for others. Whereas my host family had a great two years of farming in Assomada on Santiago, I talked to a friend who lives in S.Nicolau and was really upset to hear that it just devastated the island. The new road there washed out, farms were ruined, mudslides covered homes. A family even passed away after their home was washed out. It just seems ironic that in areas that are so dry and where rain is generally appreciated, it sometimes wreaks absolute havoc.

I´m attaching some pictures of my island green. I was sent these by the hiking group. I´m hoping to walk out there soon to see it for myself.

No comments: