Tuesday, October 7, 2008

August 23 - "PB JELLY TIME"


Yesterday we had our cultural day.  We were supposed to make an "American" dish.  Brett and I had planned on making grilled cheese (who doesn't love some grilled cheese), but decided it would be too hard to keep them hot.  We went with peanut butter jelly time instead.  Probably the biggest cop out in the history of Peace Corps, but what's more American than a PB and J sandwhich?!     

Today I went and learned how to make a solar oven.  Apparently in India people are building these into the sides of their homes.  Who knew?!  This is definitely a moment I'd love to have internet.  I think my Dad would eat this up.  


On Wednesday we find out where we will be living.  I know it's between two places, both are cities and both definitely have advantages.  I'll either be in Praia or I'll be in Mindelo.  

Praia, I'll know the staff, they speak a good amount of English at ISE, and it's the capital city.  I'll also be with other volunteers including a few ED volunteers. Most of my language group will be on Santiago.  On the other hand Mindelo is supposed to be beautiful, somewhat European, touristy (which I'm not sure if I see this as a positive or negative).  I won't be with other ED volunteers but some will be on nearby islands.  


I'm so torn right now between wanting to get to know I feel like I definitely gravitate towards a few of the volunteers that I feel closer to or more comfortable with.  It's a tough because I want to get to know everyone better, but we have such a short time together and we are usually separated.   It isn't all that much fun to know that I'm already facing separation anxiety.    

No comments: