Tuesday, October 7, 2008

August 9th - "HERE'S TO LOVE AND HONOR..."




I love being and Achada Galegan.  Welcome to Lego land.  Last weekend we climbed up a small mountain in our town.  Afterwards we took an hilux to the neighboring village to see a soccer game.  All in all a good day.  I like that we try to get together and have a little fun.  It gives us a chance to spend time together and to spend time with the other volunteers.  This weekend, with the help of Carlos (my amazing language instructor), we were able to organize and outing for everyone. It was awesome. A few weeks ago, after our trip to Picos, we went to the library in Assomada where we happened to find a book about Santiago. Shocker, I know.  We found pictures of a grotto called Aguas Belas.  When we asked Carlos about it he told us that it's a two or three hour hike to get there.   We were down.   Today along with just about all the other volunteers we went from Chan da Tonqi to the grotto.  Unfortunately for Andrew there were no playboy bunnies.  


Today helped me to figure out my all time favorite sound: waves crashing on a rock beach. I've never heard anything more relaxing or pretty.  


After the walk a few of us took an hilux into the "city" for a little "sumo".  When the b-day girl came she gave this killer toast: "Here's to love and honor.  If you don't love her, come on her."  I died.  What?!  Wait did that really just happen?


We went to Carlos' house for lunch on Sunday.  Since the beginning I have felt a weird sense of pride about Achada Galego and this weekend just solidified it. Where else would you spend a good half hour translating the Chuck Norris quotes.  "Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding."  "Chuck Norris doesn't get wet.  Water gets Chuck Norrised."


No comments: