Tuesday, October 7, 2008

August 31st, 2008 - "SHADOWING"




This week I found out I'm going to MINDELO.  At first I was a little surprised.  I was expecting Praia.  Now I'm beyond a doubt over the moon.  I'll be living with Cathryn, a volunteer from Queens. Crazy that I can come to Africa and end up living with another New Yorker.  Mindelo sounds amazing.  It's apparently very pretty, clean, and fun.  I was definitely relieved when I saw the breakdown of where we are all going.  It's comforting to know that there are ED volunteers somewhat nearby, even if they aren't on Sao Vicent.  I'm happy that all the Legans are on Santiago (I have to come back here and there) and that Brett is on Sao Nicolao.  I'm excited about Mindelo, but definitely nervous that work will be harder there.


We went to Praia this weekend for "shadowing".  I went with Alan, Bretts, and Judy.  We took hot showers, swam in the pool, went to the bookstore, and that's not even mentioning the food.  We had pizza and amazing ice cream.  We also went to an amazing bar near Emily's apartment that had an outdoor patio - So Sabi.  Definitely remembering that one for the future.  After dinner we went to a restuarant called 5tal Musica, apparently it's the staple of the CV music scene.  It was all really exciting. We also were really lucky that we met a former volunteer now living in Praia.  He showed us pictures of all the islands.  Maybe it was the pictures, or his enthusiam, but I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we all walked away from the weekend more excited about site.


Good pizza, ice-cream, and the best bar this side of Africa.  All in all a good time.  On top of all that we got to see the bookstore... heaven.

No comments: