Wednesday, October 8, 2008

September 25th - "IT'S BEEN ONE WEEK"




I moved to Mindelo and training is officially over.  I didn't have much to do this first week here, so I've just tried to get orientated and settled in.  We lucked out in that most of what we need was in the apartment already. 


I'm also the "safety warden" for my island (there's only two of us here) so we even have a satellite phone (which is funny because it looks like a Zach Morris cell) and an extra medkit.  Don't be too jealous that I have two years worth of medical tape and pepto.  They actually sent my roommate and I with extra bottles of sunscreen because we are by far the two palest people out of our group. 


The apartment is incredible.  It overlooks the port and the city.   Everyday I've been walking around.  I even found a language exchange partner.  I also now know where a good restaurant, bar, and free internet is.  All in all it's been a good week.


I've also heard from a few of the other volunteers and it seems like everyone is pretty excited to be settling in.  It's kinds of a relief that even though it'll be hard to keep in touch with people, the effort is there.   

 

My Address here if you want to send along some snail mail is:

Lindsay Williamson

C.P. 1120 

Mindelo, S. Vicente

Cape Verde


And in response to the following Mom inquiry: 

"the post office said one woman who sent packages to cameron africa wrote in red and put voodoo messages on package so it would get there ok since natives are very superstitious. is that true and if so tell me what to write.???!!!!"


No.  Do not write in red.  Do not cover anything in voodoo messages.  It's a Catholic Country.  They might not appreciate that.

No comments: