Wednesday, October 8, 2008

October 8th - "FALL IN THE SUMMERTIME"



School starts next week, but I've been going pretty much every day now for two weeks.  I'm definitely not winning anyone over with my poor attempts at Portuguese and Creole, but little by little I'm sure I'll start making sense to someone.  I found a language partner the first week here, but I'm not sure if that's working out all that well.  I think my roommate and I inadvertantly ended up on a double date Saturday night.  I'm new here and all but I think dinner followed by ice-cream and hanging out in the central square is pretty much a date.  My former language partner and his friend tried to pay and we put an end to that.  I have a feeling it's going to take some time to meet some friends here.  The good news is we are getting to know the ladies that work in the local fruit shop, and one of them wants to learn English and can practice Creole with us.  I've been experimenting with the cooking here, which makes me wish I knew more about cooking fish.  They have tons of fresh fish, but I don't have a clue how to prepare a whole fish.  I might take some time this weekend to start experimenting.   That or I'm going to figure out how to use the oven.  We know how to light the burners, but couldn't quite figure out the stove.  Nothing like that to make you feel slightly moronic.  It's been raining here which is an anomoly.  The streets all flooded the other day.  Rain isn't as welcome here as it was on Santiago when we lived with farmers.  

No comments: