Monday, October 6, 2008

July 23rd - "PRIMERO SEMANA"

Today is the 4th day with my Host family.  When we arrived at Assomoda we were welcomed by a group of women sining and chanting.  It was a moving expereince.  I surprsingly didn't tear up, probably because I was too anxious about meet my family.  I couldn't shut up or sit still on the ride from Praia to Assomoda because I was so full of nervous energy.  I keep wondering when it'll subside.  I feel like any feeling of balance I once had has been thrown out the window since leaving New York.  At the school, Tuga found me, grabbed my hand, and immediately lead me in a million directions.   I ate my first mango and tried some of the traditional Cape Verdean dishes.  I feel like I can definitely get used to the food here... I don't think I've eaten this healthy in years.  Mango has quickly become one of my favorite fruits.   The only downside is that right after eating one I have the intense urge to go and floss.   


I'm living with a woman Tuga, her son Dino and their puppy.  She's a farmer, so we definitely have cows and goats.  On the first day, Dino showed me the house of cows.  At least that's what is translates to.  Every morning I wake up to the roosters. It's pretty unbelievable. We have electricity, but no running water.  To flush the toilet you have to pour water from a decent height!  

No comments: