Monday, October 6, 2008

July 17th, 2008 - "I'M EASY."

Our first official day in Cape Verde is over.   Right now we are in the capital city of Praia.  They basically have us on lock down.  The overly pre-cautious measures they take are both reassuring and a little frightening.  At this point I'm pretty close to thinking that if I step outside the building I'm going to be attacked, mugged, and possibly stabbed.  In reality, I'd probably just wander around aimlessly and lost since I can barely say, "hello, my name is..."  If I can actually master the languages it'll probably be one the greatest accomplishments of my lfie.  I've always wanted to be fluent in another language, but I never really thought it was possible. I'm still convinced when they hear me speak they are just going to laugh and then hand me a plane ticket straight back home.   Today we went oustide with our facilitator.  They split us up into groups for language lessons.  It looks like I'll be in a group with Andrew, Jim, John, and Alan, teacher trainers and vocational education.  It's definitely an eclectic group.  I feel like I'm back in speech classes since I'm the only girl.  Im also sweating bullets because I didn't have time to log anywhere close to the 40 hours online with Rosetta Stone that everyone else seems to have done.  Today in one of my first attempts to speak the language I accidently said "I am easy" instead of 'I am good".  Great start. I have a feeling I'll be laughing a lot over the next few months (mostly at myself).

No comments: