Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"DO YOU THINK ABOUT ME NOW AND THEN"

The title for this entry is a line from the song that has become our apartment anthem.  It's on just about any playlist that we listen to while hanging around the apartment.  It's also usually playing when we have our dinner and wine.  Don't worry I don't plan on becoming a wino.  Now that there is time to cook every meal, it's just nice to have a glass on occasion with dinner.  Unfortunately we will not become wine conniesseurs while living here.  The wine here is pretty much the equivalent of 2 buck chuck, just Cape Verde style.  Eventually we'll figure out the least offensive ones.  

The need to cook some pizza finally gave me the courage to figure out how to light the oven.  Call me crazy, but the thought of shoving a burning match into a hole that is leaking gas just wasn't all that enticing.  So much less dramatic in reality.  Definitely worth it.  Now that we actually managed to figure out the stove, we've also been doing a lot of experimenting with foods.  I still haven't tried to cook a whole fish, but in time.  I'm determined.  Especially after all the e-mails.  Who knew talking about how to cook fish could be so funny?!  For now I'm just enjoying having the time to cook.  

Last week I accidently left the burner on after breakfast one morning.  Yikes.  I now check the knobs like a fiend.  I've done plenty of stupid things in my lifetime, but that was a first.  I told my Mom about it and got this in response...
 
hi lindsay, read your email. thank god noone lit a match. big explosion, big. be more careful please even in lighting could lose hair and eyebrows. you never want to leave gas on long before lighting as it could build up and boom.it sounds intersting your  teaching and all.

You have to love e-mails from home.  She's going to kill me when she sees it. Hi Mom.  I love you.  Miss you.  

On that note.  I'm done with the random update.  I'll just leave you all with just one more Mom e-mail tidbit. Once you get a taste...  trust me, phone calls are even better.    

I READ YOUR BLOG AND OTHERS TOO. THERE WAS ONE THAT WAS ALL ABOUT  FOOT DISEASES SO WEAR SHOES TO BED IF NECESSARY. ALSO SOMEONES BOAT CAPSIZED WHILE TRAVELING FROM ONE ISLAND TO ANOTHER. MORE TO WORRY ABOUT.????
now i'm on cap locks off.

1 comment:

Beach said...

I would pay money to have you send daily emails with quotes from your mother. A small business venture, perhaps as your secondary project? At least consider it.
Miss you,
Brett