Tuesday, October 7, 2008

August 2nd - "EARLY RETIREMENT"





We took a trip to Taraffal today.  I think I accidently pissed off a few of the ED volunteers by vocalizing the fact that I thought the Ribera Manuel kids were "solid".  In all honesty I think the ED kids are too, but I was really excited to see the SED's since most days they tend to keep us separated.  ED and SED are rarely together.  Today was good, because I felt like everyone finally had a chance to just enjoy one another.  We started off the day by visiting the Concentration Camp.  Talk about a Debby Downer beginning, or at least that's what I had prepared myself for.  I wasn't prepared for the Cape Verdean language instructors to start joking around.  I never knew there was anything funny about prison camps, but apparently the old addage "where there is a will there is a way", shouldn't be taken lightly.  After the camp we went to eat by the water and then went swimming.  I had never seen Sea Urchins in the water before today, but I'm thanking my lucky stars that I didn't step on one.  One volunteer, Jonny, stepped on one and had at least ten spikes stuck in his foot.  This poor guy was pretty violently ill for at least a week, and now that he's finally feeling better, ends up with spikes sticking into his feet.   At one point some of the volunteers went on a short walk to a secluded area.  You have to walk along the rim and down a narrow path.  There were small caves filled with conch shells and a bluff overlooking the water. I wish I had taken my camera with me.   I pretty much found my paradise.  There is a lighthouse over on one side tucked into the mountain.  In front it's all water, behind it's mountain.  A great breeze, sea smell.  I could honestly picture a little house with huge windows, a rocker and tons of books.  25 going on 80.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my hetero life partner, make sure its a rocking chair for two! more pictures with you in them!!