Wednesday, October 8, 2008

September 25th - "WATERFIGHT"


It's crazy how fast you can adapt to some changes.  Water is the biggest challenge here.  It's so expensive and so limited that you find 50 ways to save water.  That includes standing in a bucket while showering and then using that water to flush the toilet.  Doing dishes is pretty much the same.  The save the water game is actually kind of fun though.  I feel like I should share some advice I received in an e-mail the other week: " Oh, and there's a saying that goes, "Save water, shower with a buddy."  I can assure you that that does not work, and you use more water whilst showering in pairs.  Keep that in mind."  Everything here is about downsizing.  How can I create as little garbage as possible?  How can I reuse the empty peanut butter jar? Cup? Bowl? Yesterday I handwashed my clothes, hung new clotheslines, and then used the water to mop our balcony.  If nothing else I now know how to wash my own clothes by hand.  It's an all day activity that doubles as a workout.  I also got into the mayo and ketchup on pretty much anything habit.  During training we would go and get "dirty burgers" as a treat.  Since there was all that much meat on it they would throw an egg, ham, mayo, and ketchup in between the buns.  Incredible. I might weigh approximately 500 pounds by the time I get back home.  They'll have to forklift me out of this place.  I also am addicted to their version of Kool-Aid.  I barely know how to light the range on my stove, but food is already ruling the roost here. 


No comments: