Monday, October 6, 2008

July 18th, 2008 - "25%"

Today we learned that 25% of CV trainees have "sexual relations" during PST. How is that possible?!  The Country Director seems to harp on this fact quite a bit.  Just a tad bit disturbing.  Picture sitting in a room with about 30 strangers and hearing something along the lines of... "Even though you just met one another, and even if this is probably going to instigate the most awkward silence ever,  I just want you all to know that if you can't control the "I'm going to jump someone urges", basically if you so much as touch one another... you will get Herpes. Or worse.  First time, it's OK. Second time.... not so much."  Huh?!  I don't believe all that many statistics, and I have a lot of trouble swallowing this one.  I feel like I've never had less privacy in my life.  


On the plus side, it has given us all something fun to throw around.  I don't think I'm the only one to have completely reverted back to the fifth grade.  The other night it was all anyone could take about.  We should probably March Madness the whole thing, and set up some brackets.  I could probably win some major escudos.    


I also laugh at really stupid things...more so than I did prior to this.  Tonight after dinner I played spoons with some of the volunteers.  I forgot how much fun just sitting around and playing games can be. One of the volunteers Jim actually got up on the table and Funanana'd it.  It was hysterical.  Everyone seems pretty excited to be here.  I'm excited but I also have a million and one questions.  I haven't gotten a chance to call home yet because we are Prisoners of Praia at the moment, but it's a call that I'm looking forward to as much as I'm dreading.  If there is one thing that will get me back home early, it'll be sodade.  That's the word used here for longing or homesickness. 

No comments: